Saturday, August 23, 2008

Lawyers Guns and Money

One night in the late eighties, Jack and I were driving through Laurel Canyon late at night. We had been out carousing, ate a late night chili-dog at Pink's and I was driving Jack back home to Shadow Hills.
Warren Zevon's "Lawyers Guns and Money" came on the radio and we cranked it up and sang along as loud as we could.
"An innocent bystander
Somehow I got stuck
Between a rock and hard place
And I'm down on my luck"
Jack was never down on his luck as far as I'm concerned, but we found ourselves in a hard place now and again.
At the wake, I kept thinking about the ending of the Christmas movie "It's a Wonderful Life" where George Bailey finds that he's the richest man in town, not from money, but from the love and respect and admiration and companionship of people who cared about him. If that is the measure of true wealth, then Jack Terrell was a very rich man.
Jack will always be with me, always be in my thoughts, and will always be my most unforgettable character.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.